Monday, August 1, 2011

Hindrances to a Healthy Lifestyle


In a previous blog, I mentioned my desire to become a fitter person. I want to be able to get from class to class with the same ease I use to have. I have been walking more and trying to eat more nutritious meals.

Today, at USAO, I learned it’s easier said than done. I can see a problem and find a solution. However, executing the resolution is the trickier part.

Being a commuter, I sit for extended periods of time. It is necessary, but also brings a new set of problems. Since commuting a long distance became part of my routine, I noticed a decline in physical fitness. To introduce more activity into my regimen, I decided to park further away. This allows for more walking. This is only a small adjustment though. It will require much more work than this simple step.

Food is a major stumbling block. It is simpler and easier to just grab something on the go. Most of the choices for on the go dining is fast food and junk food. I can save time in my daily routine by eating in the car. However, I find when I do that the nutritional value suffers tremendously. For example, when I prepare a meal at home, I include lean protein and vegetables. When I eat in the car, it is typically packaged and has little or no nutritional value or preparation time.

I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was young. Food is an integral part of everyone’s health, but especially so for a diabetic. This is another reason food is such an obstacle. If my blood sugar goes low, I need something to get it raised fast.

As a student, a commuter and a diabetic, I find there a many hindrances to a healthy lifestyle. The problem is plain. The solution can be seen. Attainment is complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment