Thursday, August 4, 2011

New to Me


It is always an exciting time when choosing classes for the upcoming semester. I remember when I chose this particular class. Flipping through the listed courses available for the summer, I saw “Newspaper Workshop” and it was cross-listed with “Practicum in Online Media”. It was primarily the name that enticed me. I had no idea what to expect specifically. Obviously, I knew writing would be par for the course and that it would be new to me.

The time finally came for classes to begin. Upon entering this class, we, the students, talked about our estimations of what the course held for us. Suggestions surfaced that we would write for the school paper, which made me consider dropping the course. I didn’t want my work subjected to peer scrutiny. Made me nauseous thinking of the possibilities that anyone on campus could read something I had written.

I decided to stick it out and see what the class actually entailed. Perhaps my hopes were a bit naïve. My thoughts concerning the class were that I would merely learn about newspaper operations and what went into the makings of online media. A behind the scenes study is more what I had in mind.

The instructor entered and told us we would be writing. It would be “published” per se in an online format. Due to circumstances, it evolved into a blogging class. I have never blogged. There is a reason for that. It is open season on the internet. Anyone anywhere can see what you have produced. Once something is out there, it cannot be retracted.

To me, this was a scary experience. We were given the theme ‘what I learned today at USAO’ and then given the freedom to interpret at will. As a commuter student, I chose to incorporate my experiences as such with what I learned on campus. Sometimes it came naturally and easily, since there are many challenges commuters face. Other times I had to spend time contemplating and evaluating.

As the course progressed, I learned to become more aware of my surroundings. There would be something to learn and expand upon all around campus. This class helped me develop my observation skills and to link school lessons as well as life experiences together.

I also had to learn about deadlines. Now, I am use to deadlines concerning tests and papers for class. However, this was a weekly writing deadline. I have a new appreciation for journalists of newspapers, magazines, television or radio. Not only was there a deadline, I had to get all my information to fit a certain length and style. It was a new way of writing for me.

USAO has taught me so much, whether in the classroom or around the campus. This online media class, a constituent of USAO, has increased my awareness also. Through blogging I have learned to respect the power the internet holds. I have learned to develop my writing skills in a new medium. My appreciation for professionals in related fields escalated. Observation and critical thinking had to increase. I had to master my apprehension of open scrutiny and develop a voice.

1 comment:

  1. Deadlines can suck at times right :(? There was one week where I couldn't get the blog out by Monday and it was like a weight in the back of my mind. I finally mamaged to get back on track though thankfully. The internet is very powerful and I agree strongly with all that you had to say here. People in that profession have a lot to be proud of. It's amazingly hard work at times. I think that you expressed your "voice" quite well. Have a great Summer Andrea :)!

    ReplyDelete