Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Pennies

Today, I came across a penny. Not just any penny, it was a new 2011 one. I was astonished. I flipped it over and examined it. Same old Lincoln face on one side, but on the tails side it had a symbol of the union.

It really surprised me that a coin of so little value to some had been re-designed. I thought to myself that they had quit making pennies. People toss them around like they are worthless and of little value. Rarely will people even stoop down to pick them up.

But, today the thought came back to me " a penny for your thought; a penny saved is a penny earned; pennies from heaven; pretty as a penny and shiny like a new penny.”

To compare these old adages with the college experience, we really have to think outside the box. Most students are really having to watch ever penny they can while trying in this day and time to pay for college. When they receive financial aid and scholarships, its like money from heaven. Our books cost a pretty penny and when we graduate we will shine like a brand new penny.

At USAO I used that penny as a reminder of how valuable we are as students and that like most of us, we are here to be re-designed and to re-discover ourselves. We as students are in the same union of commitment to succeed at college. Some of us will land on heads, and some on tails.

1 comment:

  1. I like your assessment! You are so right about the penny in general, and nice use of comparison there. I still pick up a penny when it's heads because of it being "good luck." I feel you have grown a lot as a writer and thanks for sharing your ideas with me. I enjoyed our conversation in the writing lab that day and think you are a nice and insightful person. Keep up the good work and hope you have a great Summer!

    ReplyDelete